Understanding Hospital Bills & Insurance Claims
We understand that hospital bills and insurance claims can be confusing. We want to help you understand what Hanover Hospital will do to assist you and how you can assist us.
Hanover Hospital will:
Bills and Statements
- File a claim to your insurance carrier(s) on your behalf.
- Mail easy-to-read statements showing the most current balance owed by your insurance carrier or due from you. Statements will show the amount your insurance carrier paid and the remaining balance owed.
- Provide access to a customer service representative to answer billing questions. Customer service representatives can assist you with questions concerning insurance benefits, hospital charges, and payment options.
- Provide access to a Patient Financial Advocate who will help you determine if you qualify for Hanover Hospital's Financial Assistance program, which can help uninsured and underinsured patients. Patient Financial Advocates can also assist in applying for federal, state or other financial assistance programs.
- Provide access to a hospital associate who speaks your language. If we cannot provide a customer service representative who speaks your language, we will arrange for translation assistance.
- Treat you with dignity and respect, regardless of your ability to pay.
How Can You Help Us
Information about Billing Your Insurance
- Provide us with complete insurance carrier or third party information upon registration, including insurance identification cards, driver's license or picture identification and any changes to your personal or insurance information.
- Comply with any requirements of your insurance carrier, including submitting referral forms or completing coordination of benefits forms.
- Respond promptly to requests from your insurance carrier. Your insurance carrier may need a response from you to resolve issues related to your insurance coverage. If payment is not received from your insurance carrier in 60 days, we may request assistance in obtaining payment, or we may bill you for the unpaid balance.
Questions About Your Bill
Call us if you have questions or concerns about your bill. Customer service representatives are available to assist you by calling (717) 316-7877 or 800-673-2426, ext. 7877.
For questions about your insurance coverage, check your health policy plan booklet or call the telephone number on your insurance card. Questions concerning physician bills should be directed to your physician office.
- Hanover Hospital will make all reasonable efforts to obtain payment from your insurance company for your bills. Keep in mind the insurance contract is between you and your insurance company – payment of your hospital bill is ultimately your responsibility.
- Please provide payment promptly or within 30 days after you receive a bill. For your convenience Hanover Hospital accepts cash, personal check, money orders, Visa, MasterCard and Discover.
- Call us if you anticipate problems paying your bill. Customer service representatives can discuss payment alternatives and financial assistance options. Certain personal and financial information is required to apply for financial assistance programs. Call our customer service representatives at (717) 316-7877 or 800-673-2426, ext. 7877.
Physician or Other Bills
Hanover Hospital bills do not include fees for physician services. You may receive more than one bill for your hospital visit. Several physicians or caregivers may have participated in your medical care, for which you will receive separate bills. Please contact these physicians or caregivers directly if you have any questions concerning their bill.