Your Advance Directive or Living Will

In Pennsylvania, competent adults have the right to make decisions about their care. This includes, accepting, rejecting, or discontinuing treatment. We recommend that any person over the age of 18 or who is an emancipated minor have an advance directive. An advance directive is a document that tells your physicians and family members what your wishes are if you are unable to speak for yourself.

We recommend that after formulating an advance directive, you give a copy to any physicians and family members that may be involved in your care. Many people also provide a copy to a minister and attorney. If you should be admitted to the hospital, our staff will ask for a copy of your directive to place on your medical record. If you return to the hospital, you will be asked for an additional copy each time. This allows us to have the most current directive in case you should make any changes.

Another document that goes hand-in-hand with your advance directive is a durable power of attorney. This is a document that allows you to name another person who has the power to make healthcare and other decisions for you if you are unable to make them yourself.

We recommend that all adults of any age have these two important documents.

For more information, please contact:

The Social Services Department

Phone: 717-316-2123
Fax: 717-316-2216

Click the cover below to learn more about an advance directive and to print a copy.