Patient Safety Awareness Week is March 12-18
Posted Date: 3/13/2017
In celebration of National Patient Safety Week, March 12 – 18, 2017, Hanover Hospital, guided by the National Patient Safety Foundation’s slogan, “Creating a World Where Patients and Those Who Care for Them Are Free from Harm,” will participate in educational and interactive activities for caregivers and patients.
Patients and family members are encouraged to engage in the healthcare of either themselves or a loved one. This engagement has shown to make their care safer while in the hospital. To help, here are the seven actions identified as most important for patients and their families to consider:
- Ask questions about the risks and benefits of recommendations until you understand the answers.
- Don’t go alone to the hospital or to doctor visits.
- Always know why and how you take your medications, and their names.
- Be very sure you understand the plan of action for your care.
- Say back to clinicians in your own words what you think they have told you.
- Arrange to get any recommended lab tests done before a visit.
- Determine who is in charge of your care.
Hanover Hospital encourages family involvement at all levels of the care delivery system. From outpatient appointments to needed hospitalization; sharing medical history, communicating with healthcare providers and asking the questions will enhance the experience of needed health care.