Nutrition Counseling is a way to prevent and control a number of chronic diseases. A one-on-one counseling service with a registered dietitian is safer and more effective than a fad diet program. Although some fad diets provide positive initial results, they do not offer sustained, healthy life style changes.
The registered dietitians in Nutrition Services perform a comprehensive nutrition assessment for each client, determining an individualized nutrition plan that addresses specific needs with an accompanying plan of action and goals. Registered dietitians monitor and evaluate an individual’s progress during follow-up visits.
Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT)
– Physicians send registered dietitians written referrals for MNT, including current labs, medications and other diagnoses. Each in-depth appointment includes a complete nutrition evaluation and education session and lasts approximately one hour. Insurance companies may or may not cover this service. Additional appointments may be recommended after an initial visit to monitor and evaluate progress with lifestyle changes.
MNT is available for patients who need to address the following concerns:
- Diabetes: Type1, Type2, Gestational
- Renal Disease: insufficiency, chronic failure
- Cardiovascular Diseases; hypertension, dyslipidemia, congestive heart failure
- Pulmonary Diseases: COPD
- Eating Disorders
- Women’s Health: pregnancy, osteoporosis, anemia
- Immunocompromise: food allergies, HIV/AIDS
- Pediatrics: infant/child feeding, failure to thrive, inborn errors of metabolism
- Nutritional Support: oral, enteral, parenteral
- GI Disorders: celiac disease, cirrhosis, Crohn’s disease
Hanover Hospital Dietitians may be reached at any of the following numbers:
Dietitian: (717) 316-2263
Dietitian: (717) 316-2247
Dietitian: (717) 316-2138